Hostelling International USA has an offer for you, travel lovers.
They’ve created the Explore the World Travel Scholarship, based on “thinking travel should be as much about making a difference in the world as it is about seeing it“.
Recipients of the scholarship receive $2,000 to help finance their international trip as long as they have an educational or service component to their itinerary. They give to you so you can give back.
To be considered for the Explore the World Travel Scholarship, candidates must meet the qualifying criteria:
– Be 18 – 30 years of age
– Be a permanent, legal resident of the USA
– Have a permanent or school address in one of the following metropolitan areas.
– Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through international travel
– Plan to take a trip to a destination outside of the 50 United States between now and August 31, 2017 that incorporates volunteerism or service learning.
– Complete an Explore the World Application for your location (Note: Applicants may only submit one application per calendar year)
– Provide references
– If selected as a finalist, participate in an interview
Deadline: The deadline for the Explore the World Scholarship is May 15, 2016. See more about this at Program Details.
Awards will be split into two payments: an initial $1,000 payment prior to departure and the remaining $1,000 after return. Both installments require completion of program requirements. For this reason, it is important that applicants plan their trip funding accordingly.
Hostelling International USA (HI USA) is a nonprofit, member organization founded on an enduring belief in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places, and the world around.
Their more than 50 hostels nationwide facilitate interaction among people from diverse backgrounds, from across the country and around the world. As their community of travelers gets to know each another, they are discovering their similarities and their differences, expanding their world views as they build friendships.