Saint Martin (French: Saint-Martin; Dutch: Sint Maarten) is an small island in the northeast Caribbean, approximately 300 km (190 mi) east of Puerto Rico.
The 87 square kilometres (34 sq mi) island is divided roughly 61/39 between France and the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The entire population of the island is about 78,000 inhabitans.
St. Martin/St.Maarten attracts different people for different reasons, from those wishing to relocate for hope of a better life, to those vacationing, all of them enjoying parties to beaches, restaurants, casinos, real estate, beautiful weather and even the amazing Princess Juliana International Airport with 747s landing right above the head of those sunbathing on Maho Beach.
Here are some facts about St. Martin/St.Maarten which you may not have know.
1) There is no physical barrier between St. Martin and St. Maarten
3) St. Martin is famous for its 37 white sandy beaches
4) Relations between St.Martin and St.Maarten were established by the Treaty of Concordia in 1648
5) The island of St.Martin became a separate Overseas “Collectivité” of France on December 11, 2007
6) The island of St.Maarten became a country within the Dutch Kingdom on October 10, 2010
7) Christopher Columbus discovered the island of St.Martin on November 11, 1493
9) St.Martin is the closest French overseas territory to the USA
10) The Tainos were the first tribe to live on St.Martin
11) The island of St.Martin is known as the culinary capital of the Carribean
12) The island of St.Martin features over 300 restaurants
13) St.Martin is the smallest island in the world divided between two nations
14) Over 110 nationalities live side by side on the island of St.Martin
15) The island of St.Martin is also knows as “Soualiga”, Land of Salt
From boat trips to water sports to cultural attractions to things to do for the kids, St. Martin/St. Maarten can keep any vacationer and vacationing family busy.
The Carribean chain of islands, as a whole, is truly a “paradise” on Earth.
(via St.Martin website)